Friday, January 21, 2011

Is Skins John Hughes 2.0?

I watched the season premiere of "Skins" to try and see what all the fuss was about.

"Skins" 2011 is the American version of a television series that originated in Bristol, South West England. It was written by a father and son team  Bryan Elsley and Jamie Brittain
 
The controversial plot line explores issues such as dysfunctional families,  mental illness  (including eating disorders), sexual orientation identity , substance abuse and death.

I know Hollywood had no original ideas left, right?


Some  how I always find the British versions to be much more appealing and real.  America seems to take their ideas then get it totally wrong.


Growing up I watched a lot of John Hughes movies.  Many of you that have seen my film work know that sometimes I put little John Hughes references in my show.  When you think about it this series seems like a story he would portray.  I mean look at "Sixteen Candles", "Weird Science", "The Breakfast Club" and "Pretty in Pink".  Do you not see a resemblance?


These John Hughes movies were movies that were geared to teenagers.  They were fantasy for us.  They made us feel like we weren't alone in the world.  But at the same time we all knew if was not the average teenagers life. It was what every teenage boy and girl masturbated too. Hughes also was portraying children in  sexual situations.  But, it seems as Hollywood tolerates the hypocrisy of what they do.

I guess I believe that if you don't want to see it don't watch.  But on the other hand being in the Adult Industry if I were to portray this I would go to jail for a very long time.  Plus, portraying someone as a child has NO APPEAL TO ME period!

They know they are on a thin line.  They ARE technically breaking the law.  What makes them so special?

So.....  in steps parentstv.org  The have actually written to the US Department of Justice, the U.S. Senate and House Judiciary Committees over issues the show uses underage actors in graphic sexual situations.

They say the Viacom is intentionally showing  sexual content on the show involving cast members as young as 15, PTC counted 42 depictions and references to drugs and alcohol in the premiere episode.  So who knows it may go to the Supreme Court.

The adult industry is no stranger to this topic.  Many companies have also done this.  And they have suffered the consequences for it.  The rest of us who follow the letter of the law have continually defended ourselves because of this.   Any legitimately studio wouldn't even try it unless they were seeking attention.  Or trying to prove that they are  above the law.

The issue still remains why is that Hollywood can get away with it?  Here's another example. 
"American Beauty".  This movie clearly portrays Mena Suvari as a high school girl being seduced by a man in his 40's played by Kevin Spacey.  This movie also portrayed drugs, mental illness and sexual orientation identity issues.

What about the movie "The Accussed" with Jodi Foster?  About a woman raped by a bunch of  men in a bar.  I could list so many more.   I guess my point is even though MTV may have a hit series on their hands, is it right?

Every teen in America is tuning into this show.  WHY?  Because it is more or less modern day John Hughes.  It is what teens fantasize about.  They want to think that all these issues are out on the table and up for discussion with their friends.

If you take a look around most of this is very normal in other countries.  They aren't afraid to express what they think about sexuality.  No matter how fucked up it is.    It's frustrating to me as a film maker because every decision you make in this industry affects you.

I think there should be some standard across the board for both mainstream and adult.  To me going after the adult industry for every fucking thing we do, but Hollywood can let it slide, well frankly it pisses me off.  You can't chastise one industry but applaud the other. 

Back to Skins....

I thought the show was shot well.  Well cast.  It's not for me though.  I was a teenager once so I understand it's appeal.  But I don't endorse how it is being done. 

Anyway other than keep rambling, make your own decisions and judgments.  Just don't yell at me about it. 

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend.  Stay warm and be safe.

-Maddy

No comments:

Post a Comment